Dear First Church Family,
I've mentioned a couple of times during worship and via the Messenger that our Administrative Council is exploring a restructure. The primary reason we are doing this is to increase our effectiveness and efficiency in accomplishing our vision of being a welcoming, diverse church that serves our community with love. Here are some other reasons:
- To streamline the governance of the church to be more effective, and available to serve our community
- To empower our laity to serve the community in love
- To be more proactive and responsive in meeting needs that arise in our community and congregation
- To be more adaptive in our leadership
- To free up our pastoral staff for more pastoral care
- To have more time to develop relationships with people outside the walls of our church
- To encourage greater accountability to our mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
The simple explanation is that we would combine the Board of Trustees, Finance Committee, and Administrative Council into one team called "The Leadership Board." A task group composed of Jay Putnam, Kerr Morton, Anita Morrow, Pam Strunk, Bobby Ellis, and myself have been working out the details of a possible restructure after our Administrative Council heard a presentation on the concept back in January and voted to explore the possibility. The Administrative Council has been receiving monthly updates from the task group.
Immediately following the 8:30 and 11 AM worship services on August 15th, we will present a possible new model. At that time, we will distribute a working document that contains our guiding principles. Your feedback and input is vital over the next month or so as we work out the kinks and discern if this is the direction God is calling us to move. We plan to host a few listening sessions to receive your feedback and answer questions. Please continue praying for our church and our city as we move into this next season of ministry!
Grace and Peace,