Welcome to First Church
We are a church that calls all people to be fully devoted followers of Christ.
We want to be a church where:
- Members passionately, whole-heartedly, recklessly pursue full devotion to Christ
- Those who are hurting can easily connect with life-changing community
- Everyone has access to teaching that transforms
- Authentic, selfless people – individuals whose very lives demand belief in the existence and power of God – are actively discovering, developing and deploying their gifts and resources for the Lord.
First Church is active in missions and continues to be involved in mission projects. Some of those projects include:
- Kids Eat Free (summer lunch program)
- GANTA UM School in Liberia
- Project Transformation (summer children’s project of UMC)
FUMC The Colony held its first church service on January 11, 1976 at Fire Station #1 in The Colony. First Church was formally constituted on March 21, 1976, with 69 charter members.
Ground was broken on September 9, 1976, for the first church building at the present site of the church. Several expansions have been completed over the years. The current sanctuary was completed in 1992 and in 1997 the educational extension and church offices were completed.
A Building Study Committee called by the Board of Trustees in 2006 evaluated the need for space and determined that a new fellowship hall, kitchen and additional space for classrooms, among other things, was needed in order to continue activities in a growing congregation. Today, a Building Committee continues to evaluate and plan for new expansion so that more can be done to seek the kingdom of God through worship and church activities.